Text Size

Accommodations Policy


Policy Statement

Employees on travel status, where overnight accommodations are required, may stay in suitable commercial accommodations or, where employees choose, in private accommodations. The type, standard and cost of commercial accommodations may be reflective of the period of time employees are on travel status.



This policy applies to all employees of Government departments.

Bargaining unit employees should also consult their respective collective agreements and the provisions of the collective agreement shall prevail.



Commercial Accommodations commercially operated hotels, motels, inns and similar establishments
Overnight travel status the overnight absence of employees from their headquarters on government business with the prior approval of the Deputy Minister/Minister
Private Accommodations accommodation arrangements made by an employee, in lieu of staying in commercial accommodations
Travel Status the absence of an employee from headquarters on government business with the prior approval of the Deputy Minister/Minister



It is the responsibility of individual departments to:

  • approve all accommodation expenses prior to employee travel;
  • ensure that commercial accommodation rates are not in excess of the minimum rate for a single room with attached bath; and
  • justify approval of higher accommodation rates.


It is the responsibility of employee to:

  • seek favourable hotel rates when on travel status; and
  • ensure that advantage is taken of any special discounts or rates afforded to government employees.


Private Accommodations

Employees on overnight travel status may make private arrangements for accommodations. Employees who make such arrangements will be reimbursed $25.00 per night.


Government Owned or Arranged Accommodations

Employees working in areas where government owned or arranged facilities are available (i.e., camps, depots) for use by employees are required to use such facilities provided a more economical form of accommodation cannot be used.


Accommodation While on Extended Travel Status

Where employees are required to spend in excess of one continuous month on travel status at one location, appropriate arrangements for suitable accommodations at weekly or monthly rates will be made prior to the start of the period on travel status.


Last Policy Update: April 30, 1999

Last Updated:
This page and all contents are copyright, Government of Newfoundland and Labrador, all rights reserved.