- Policy Innovation and Accountability
Policy Innovation and Accountability Office (PIAO)
The Policy Innovation and Accountability Office (PIAO) of Cabinet Secretariat provides support and leadership to departments and agencies in a variety of government-wide corporate functions including performance management and planning, evaluation, regulatory reform and the advancement of an overall approach to strengthening policy capacity. The work of the office is led by the Executive Director of Planning and Coordination.
PIAO is responsible for:
- supporting government's efforts in continuous improvement;
- development, implementation and compliance review of legislation and policies for all government entities related to each stage of the policy process, in particular the Transparency and Accountability Act and related policies, the Policy on Evaluation and the Regulatory Reform Initiative;
- supporting government entities and public bodies in meeting the requirements of the Transparency and Accountability Act including performance-based planning and reporting;
- leading the implementation of the Policy on Evaluation through effective oversight and review and by assisting departments and agencies with evaluation planning activities regarding new and existing policies, programs and services;
- providing support and guidance to departments and public bodies on the monitoring and implementation of the Regulatory Reform Initiative;
organizational development initiatives, in collaboration with the Centre for Learning and Development and other partners, to promote enhancement of policy competencies; and,
- promoting best practice, resource and information sharing through development of internal and external networks of policy professionals, such as PolicyNL; and,
- the strategic direction and administration of PolicyNL including a public website (www.policynl.ca); a social media presence on Twitter (@PolicyNL) and LinkedIn: and a policy development community of practice extranet, the PolicyNL Marketplace.
To contact the Policy Innovation and Accountability office, call (709) 729-3485.